Your house can have a significant effect on your health and safety. Risks in the home include fire, mold, radon, toxins, and allergens. Here are 5 ways to protect your family from these threats and make your home healthy and safe.
Fire Safety Devices Make Your Home Healthy and Safe
Some of the most basic but important safety devices for the home help save lives in case of danger. Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, escape ladders, and fire extinguishers are important home safety essentials.
Smart alarms can connect to your phone and alert you remotely if your fire alarm goes off. Test smoke alarms once per month to make sure the batteries are operational. Carbon monoxide alarms are also important to have and test regularly because they protect you from this deadly, invisible gas.
If you have a multi-level home, equip your home with escape ladders that attach to the windows for the upper-level rooms. Keep fire extinguishers in the kitchen, garage, laundry room, and by the fireplace.
Mold spores are unhealthy to breathe and can cause chronic allergies, respiratory problems, and neurological symptoms. Keep mold from growing in your home by eliminating standing water, damp fabrics, humidity, and condensation.
Protection from Radon
Radon is a problem for about 1 of every 15 houses in the United States. It is a naturally-occurring carcinogenic gas that causes lung cancer. To be sure your family stays healthy in your home, have it tested for radon. A professional test is the best way to go because it provides more accurate results than a DIY radon test kit.
Some houseplant varieties are toxic if ingested by people or pets. If you like to keep houseplants inside to filter the air and add life to your home, make sure they are non-toxic species. Spider plants, Boston ferns, and prayer plants are safe choices.
Cleaning Makes the Home Healthy and Safe
Neglecting to clean your home leads to a buildup of dust, mold, and germs. Establish a weekly cleaning schedule and clean from top to bottom. Start with dusting ceiling fans and light fixtures and clean the floors last. You’ll get rid of dirt and contaminants that cause allergies.